Sunday, November 25, 2007

ScreamFree Parenting


Greetings readers. This small segment is my plug for a fantastic parenting book - ScreamFree Parenting by Hal Runkel. Ever since I was an undergraduate in college, I have been intrigued by the parent-child relationship. Thus, while getting my Masters in Marriage & Family Therapy, I focused my interests in that field of study. I am now a therapist for youths and their families at a small non-profit organization in the city I live in. I have the privilege of working with adolescents and their parents on a day-to-day basis.

Through my education and experience in working with the parent-child relationship, I have been exposed to numerous parenting research, curriculums, and philosophical approaches. Books that I consider to be fairly descent are Bringing Up Boys by James Dobson, Parenting with Love and Logic by Foster Cline & Jim Fay, and Raising the Emotionally Intelligent Child by John Gottman. Although these are great reads that many moms and dads could find useful information, ScreamFree Parenting blows these out of the water by far in my opinion. However, I still consider Gottman's book as a semi-close second to Runkel's.

Runkel's approach to parenting is far different than anything I've ever seen. First of all he actually wrote a parenting book that is focused on parents and not children. So many books out there tend to put the focus on the children (e.g., how to get your child to behave or how to make your child happy), but his book is about how parents can change.....how by simply being cool, calm, and connected is your greatest parenting tool. But more importantly, throughout this curriculum/book, Hal reiterates the notion that parenting is NOT about a set of techniques to get your child to do this or that, but instead, parenting is about building relationships.......which is a concept that I feel has been lost in the parenting literature.

If you are a parent or hope to be a parent some day, I hope you check out ScreamFree Parenting. I have had the privilege of running parenting groups at my place of work using the ScreamFree Parenting video series curriculum. Thus, if you ever get the opportunity to attend a ScreamFree Parenting class, DON'T PASS IT UP! But if classes aren't being offered in your area, at least read the book.
But be prepared to have your minds challenged as this approach goes against most of what society teaches or has taught about parenting. Also, if you are not planning on having children any time soon but could use a few pointers in your everyday relationships, this book might be what you are looking for as Hal's principles apply to many more than just the parent-child relationship. Anyways.........I hope you will check it out. Click on the blog title to take you to the website.

5 comments:

  1. the links didn't work

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didn't realize it was the title that was the link : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh,

    Right on regarding SF Parenting! In my MFT practice, I recommend books all the time to my clients. I always tell folks this one is a the top of the heap. I'll have to check out Gottman's book - I love his fantastic work on marriage. Also, I would recommend John Rosemond's terrific books on parenting - his latest being "Parenting By The Book." In addition, I was very blessed by reading "Hurt: Inside the World of Todays Teenagers" and "Disconnected: Parenting Teens in a MySpace World" by Chap Clark. I recommend them frequently to parents of teens and to others who work with teens.

    Also, thanks for the link! I'm glad you found me, and have found something useful at my site. I appreciate you sharing it with others, Josh. I look forward to getting to know you better, as it seems we may be kindred spirits in our work and ministry.

    With Hope,
    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed reading your entry. I have been listening to the audio from the basic training in ScreamFree parenting and find it a breath of fresh air. I'm sure you are aware, but for others who might be reading this, I wanted to plug the founder of this line of thinking, Dr Murray Bowen and his Family Systems thinking. This ScreamFree book does the best job I've seen so far at making systems thinking concepts more readily accessible to readers.

    To me, it's work that must happen in the opposite side of the brain from what all of the parenting "programs" that are marketed. Not that there isn't good information and tricks and tools that really do work in the "programs", but this way of thinking, much like Systems Thinking, is organic. To me it's the expression of natural realities that are a mystery to us until we can develop eyes that can see differently. The most challenging part seems to be that it forces parents to look at themselves first, which can feel threatening. All the feedback I've had from clients and friends who take the time to really "get" this stuff are amazed at the changes it produces in the quality of their family life, not just down the family tree to their kids, but up the tree as well to grandparents and extended family.

    You will know the truth, it may hurt, but it will set you free!

    Mark Catalano, LCSW
    Austin, Texas
    www.markdcatalano.com

    ReplyDelete