Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Not My Problem

I apologize for not have written in a while. If you are like me and periodically check other's blogs, you probably feel a little disappointed when your blogger buddies do not have new entries. But there are others of you that are probably relieved as there is less for you to read that day.

Just to let you know my blog probably won't have much update in relation to what is going on in my life. My wife pretty much covers it in her blog - www.amandanichols.blogspot.com. Unless she has left something out or something spectacular happens to me alone, I more or less will attempt to challenge your maps with mine (see blog description for definition of "maps").

To address the title of this entry "Not my problem," I was having an interesting conversation with someone whom I consider to be very wise. As we were talking, he told me that when it comes to life's challenges, he lumps things in two categories - 1. Things that are his problem and 2. Things that aren't his problem. I found this to be very interesting. At first glance, this might sound cold or hardhearted. However, after further thought, it is reality. I believe we often overwhelm ourselves with the things we cannot control (i.e., things that aren't our problem). What we have to do is examine the stressful/challenging situation and determine "what about this situation do I have control over? What parts of this do I take responsibility for?" The parts we can't control, we have to let be. This is when it gets scary. We are such control freaks that we actually create the illusion that we are in control of the things we actually are not in control of; thus, our anxiety raises because our illusion is being challenged. In Matthew 6, Jesus asks if by worrying can one add a single second to his/her life? In reality, you might actually find that you are in control of very little (read Romans, particular chapter 8). God has set it up that way, because if we are the ones in control, we really have no need for God. A very wise woman (Mamaw) once said, "We often have it in our minds that we'll just help God out a little." This should be Webster's definition of "control freak."

5 comments:

  1. We've talked about this before...it's helped me to stop and NOT freak out when I have no control over a situation. I also believe that we have less control than we traditionally think we do...you're right God is the One in control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this wisdom with the rest of us--especially the Mamaw quote. I needed to hear that. Reminders that God is control are always good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny...I wrote this blog entry and almost immediately we are hit with a snowstorm (in Okla in Nov...might I add), which results in me cancelling my busiest counseling day and my supervision for the week....both of which would come in handy since I am very much behind on counseling hours and supervision hours for licensure. Additionally, Amanda had to cancel her proposal which she has studied her boo-tay off for and spent much time and stress getting her committee to agree on a date. Who would of guessed that they'd pick the day we are hit with the 3rd biggest snowstorm the state has ever seen. I must say, a true test to see if I practice what I preach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Josh,
    Thanks for that post. I completely agree that we should give up everything to God what we can't control. I also think we have to be careful not to give up responsibility for our own actions as well. I know people who will just say, "It's not my problem" even when they can do something to help the situation just because they don't want to take responsibility. Thanks again for the thought.

    ReplyDelete